Uric Acid Package
Gout is a type of joint disease that occurs due to too high uric acid levels in the blood. Elevated uric acid will form crystals in the joints, which trigger pain and swelling in various joints of the body. In addition to the joints, uric acid crystals can also form in the kidneys and urinary tract. Conditions that form can interfere with the kidneys or cause urinary tract stones.
Risk Factors Causing Gout
- Gender and age
- Genetics/family history
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Overweight (obesity)
- Excessive intake of purine compounds
Signs & Symptoms of Gout
There are several common signs and symptoms of gout, including:
- Joint pain, especially at night before waking up in the morning.
- The affected joint may appear swollen, red, hot, and extremely painful, often in the big toe, knee, ankle, toes, elbow, wrist and finger joints.
- The attack is usually in one joint but can occur in many joints.
- Tophi form (uric acid deposits)